Posted July 25, 2011 by jimhigley
I recently took a break with David Hirsch, founder of the Illinois Fatherhood Initiative which is the first statewide non-profit organization in our country promoting the importance of fathers in our childrens’ lives. Did you know that one-third of our nation’s kids don’t live with their biological father? Click here for more information on the Illinois Fatherhood Initiative. And be sure to listen to my radio interview, Bobblehead Dad on WebTalk Radio, for more of David! The show with him is titled “Fathers Who Aren’t Dads.”
1. Where’d you grow up? Chicago area
2. Any siblings? If so, where’d you fit in? Yes, I have one brother who is 13 months younger.
3. Where do you live today? Barrington area
4. Any good childhood nicknames you care to share with us? Crazy Legs
5. Most embarrassing Halloween costume as a kid? Or as an adult that you’d admit to? Disco theme party for some friends’ 50th, no one, not even our best friends recognized us. See attached.
6. My best childhood birthday was: Turning 16 and getting my driver’s license and first car, a brand new black 1976 Dodge Charger.
8. Two words to describe your mom: Very proud
9. My dad was: My father-figure growing up was Sam Solomon, my maternal grandfather
10. My mom was: a Chicago Public School teacher for 35 years.
11. When did you become a dad? September 15, 1989
12. First thought when you held your oldest: WOW!!
13. Tell us about your family today: We have been married for 28 years and have 5 children: Dave (21), Amanda (20), Emily (18), Charlie (16), and Addie (14).
15. Pick-up or Convertible? convertible
16. Pop Tarts or fresh fruit? definately fruit
17. Number of hours you sleep each night: 4-6
18. I’m proud of: my children and the reponsible young adults they are becoming
19. The best time of the day: early AM or late PM, when everyone else is sleeping.
20. Most awesome “Dad” moment in the last 24 hours: Picking up my middle daughter, Emily, at O’Hare on her return from Oxford, England.
21. Favorite movie to watch with kids:. Forrest Gump
22. Your old standby game to play with kids: Bananagram
23. Any good imitations or voices? Asian guy who can’t speak English, ocassionaly when one of the kids call.
24. I always tell my kid(s): What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Actions speak louder than words. No time like the present,
25. My kids spend way too much time: on Facebook
Hop over to, Bobblehead Dad on WebTalk Radio and search for David’s interview titled “Fathers Who Aren’t Dads.”