Posted October 31, 2011 by jimhigley
I recently took a Bobblehead Break with Donny Killian, the United States Manager for the “Movember” movement? If you’re not familiar with Movember, you should be. During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on men’s faces around the world. With their Mo’s, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men.
1. Where’d you grow up? I was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA.
2. Any siblings? If so, where’d you fit in? I have two sisters (Lauren and Liza) and a brother (Jimmy). They are all younger, and all much more athletic than I am/was.
3. Where do they live today? The youngest two live in LA still. Lauren lives in Missouri with her ever growing family. I live in LA too!
4. I’ll never forget: The day my dad told us he had a rare form of cancer. My world got flipped upside down, and ultimately began the journey that has made me the man I am today.
5. Most embarrassing Halloween costume as a kid? Or as an adult that you’d admit to? Most embarrassing for my wife was the full size chicken costume that I showed up to dinner in, at a small sushi restaurant in NYC. The head shake was priceless.
6. When I was a kid: My sister and I would settle arguments with good old foot races. I never won an argument, nor a foot race.
7. Ever break a bone? Too many to recall unfortunately. Good news is they all healed, bad news is not all of them healed straight.
8. One word to describe your dad: Brave
9. Two words to describe your mom: Patient, Kind
10. My dad was: The kind of guy that you wanted to spend more time with, no matter how much time you had already spent with him.
11. When did you become a dad? Almost exactly a year ago, and it is still one of the highlights of my life.
12. First thought when you held your oldest: I hope she ends up looking more like her mother.
13. When I first found out I was going to be a dad: I thanked my wife, told her I loved her, and started mentally preparing for the deconstruction of the man room.
14. Hush little baby don’t you cry, daddy’s gonna buy you (complete): A pink party dress and a red rider bb gun. Just don’t tell your mother.
15. Pick-up or Convertible? Pick-up
17. Laughing is: The world’s best medicine
18. My favorite photo is: A picture of 4 generations of Donald W. Killian’s
19. The best time of the day: Sunrise and Sunset – the transitions between day and night and vice versa
20. Best “dad” advice you’ve ever received: Make sure you spend the moments after your baby is born with your wife. There will be plenty of time to hold your baby later.
21. Most awesome “Dad” moment in the last 24 hours: We are teaching our daughter sign language, and this morning my wife asked our daughter if she loved me, to which she responded “dahd dee” and she signed “yes.”
22. When I’m away from my daughter… I try my best to get a Skype session in before bed to say hi and tell her I love her.
23. I hope my daughter never forget… Where she came from.
24.I see myself in my daughter when: She is making a mess of meal time, or refusing to go to bed.
25. When I see my daughter asleep: I pray that she doesn’t start talking in her sleep like her mother does.